Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris (PRP) Community

Meet, discuss & support other patients or families living with Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris (PRP). Contribute to topics, or just share what's on your mind

PRP e acitretina

Ho 57 anni e da circa 1 mese mi è stata diagnosticata la pitiriasi rubra pilaris che sto trattando con acitretina (35 mg al giorno). Qualcuno ha esperienza riguardo all'efficacia di questo trattamento? Dopo quanto tempo si riesce a far scomparire i sintomi?

christinegnther

Hi, many PRP take Acitretin. Our daughter was on Acitretin for about two years with quite good results. In her case after a couple of days she started to be very flaky but then the flaking stopped. First results we saw about 6 - 8 weeks in.
But every patient reacts differently to each Medicine - sometimes faster, sometimes slower, sometimes very good and sometimes the medication doesn't helps at all.
I am wishing you quick and good results!

Hi, and thanks to the greetings ... Wednesday I have a prox control in Rome! I hope everything is fine!

christinegnther

I wish you good luck and keep us informed about how Acitretin works for you.

BillMcCue

Welcome. The first symptoms of PRP appeared in August 2012. I was not diagnosed until late November 2012. I took acitretin for 12 months (25mg to 50mg) and was declared in remission on April 8, 2014. I was "active" PRP for 20 months. Make sure your doctor checks your liver. There are other drugs available, but your dermatologist probably following a treatment protocol: acitretin first, then xxxxxxx if acitretin fails or the liver reacts badly.

Do you have a FaceBook Account or have a family member or friend with Facebook? There are over 900 PRP patients who share their experiences.

Thank you. I was interested in knowing the effects of acetretine. Does desquamation disappear together with itching? Does skin redness diminish? Based on what is determined that the disease is terminated?
I am aware of the effects on the liver and as a first month of hiring I go to Rome for a check.

christinegnther

In Molly's case the itching stopped first - what a relive!!! Some of the PRP patches totally disappeared - some of them not. But on the whole - the skin was much better!

Well, I hope the cure is as effective as it did with your Molly.

After the May 17 control visit, I lowered acitretine to 25 mg daily to reduce itching and pruritus. Today, on June 5th, I contacted the doctor because all the initial symptoms of the disease reappeared, that is, extensive redness, hand and foot pain, and eye pain. New hospitalization in Rome for next Saturday and in the meantime bring the dose of acitretine to 35 mg per day. But with acitretine, symptoms should not disappear completely?

After the May 17 control visit, I lowered acitretine to 25 mg daily to reduce itching and pruritus. Today, on June 5th, I contacted the doctor because all the initial symptoms of the disease reappeared, that is, extensive redness, hand and foot pain, and eye pain. New hospitalization in Rome for next Saturday and in the meantime bring the dose of acitretine to 35 mg per day. But with acitretine, symptoms should not disappear completely?

christinegnther

Hi, Acitretin worked good for Molly for a while - but she was NEVER completely PRP free!