Lipoprotein Lipase Deficiency (LPLD) Community

Meet, discuss & support other patients or families living with Lipoprotein Lipase Deficiency (LPLD). Contribute to topics, or just share what's on your mind

Can LPLD lead to a stroke?

I am a 62 year old male and have been suffering from high triglycerides for the past 10 years. I am always having pancreatitis as well as enlarged liver. My triglycerides typically run around 1900 - 2200. My family physician has had me on medication but nothing seems to lower my trig. He said I am a train wreck waiting to happen. Can this disorder lead to a stroke or heart attack? Am I in danger of dropping dead in an instant? I do eat a lot of junk food and I drink beer. Would changing my diet help me any?

Changing your diet is the best way to lower triglycerides, especially if you have LPLD! As far as I know, just having LPLD does NOT increase your risk of stroke or heart attack, but in a roundabout way, it can increase your risk of diabetes, which in turn increases your risk of those. At the very least, cutting down on your fat intake in your diet will definitely decrease your pancreatitis attacks. Pancreatitis can indeed by deadly, on top of how painful it is!

Hi,

If you are having LPLD, then you are having it for 62 years now. If LPLD leads to heart attack or stroke, it won't wait for so long.

That said, I do recommend you to change your diet and limit your fat intake. In this case, we want to avoid pancreatitis. We don't want the acute attacks to damage the pancreas too much so that acute pancreatitis turns into chronic.

I am a LPLD patient who suffers permanent damage of my pancreas and you don't want to head this way.

:D

https://www.facebook.com/fightFCS/

Hi,

If you are having LPLD, then you are having it for 62 years now. If LPLD leads to heart attack or stroke, it won't wait for so long.

That said, I do recommend you to change your diet and limit your fat intake. In this case, we want to avoid pancreatitis. We don't want the acute attacks to damage the pancreas too much so that acute pancreatitis turns into chronic.

I am a LPLD patient who suffers permanent damage of my pancreas and you don't want to head this way.

:D

https://www.facebook.com/fightFCS/